Pages

Jun 24, 2010

Last days

I've already extended my stay by a week and wish I could keep it going...but all good things must come to an end i guess. Antigua has been an amazing experience that will forever be engraved my in my memory and preciously placed right next all of my other ones in life. Leaving Antigua is a bitter sweet feeling. For one, I am excited to get home and see my family and friends, however I am sad to leave the family that I have grown to love so dearly here. As I was walking to school this morning I was thinking of all the things I am going to miss. I going to miss walking to school everyday and seeing the same people going about their daily businesses and saying a quick hello followed by a "que le vaya bien". The next time I come to Antigua I am going to miss not being able to pop into the wine store under the arch and talk to my friends who have been temporarily working there. If I ever come back to CSA to further my spanish studies I am going to miss not sitting in front of Will, behind Lance and see my teacher get frustrated at how easily I get distracted. I wont be able to hear Will laugh at the silliest little things with his teacher and Lance talk to the point where I can hear him and then see him turn around because my teacher says something. :) I'm also going to miss hearing mi mama say my name as though it were a question but to mean "you're late" lol but then smile so big that it makes my heart feel like mashed potatoes. I'm going miss rooming with Lindsay too! We had some awesome pillow talks at night. Seeing the smiles of the lovely ladies behind the front desk of the school every morning has been such a blessing! They make you feel so welcome and glad to be at school! :) Also I'm going to miss Will's random text messages telling me to hang out lol. I'm also going to miss Humberto's daily hellos (the director) every morning. Silly enough I'm going to miss my mamas frijoles (beans) they are sooo good -- I love eating them with bread! Dipping little breakfast cookies in my coffee every morning is going to be something that I am going to miss too. They are hard but then once you dip them in the coffee for .2 second they are soooo yummmy! :) Every morning our neighbors have a guy come and work in there garden and to let himself in or to let the people know that he is here he whistles the same whistle every time and it sounds a bird -- its' really cool!! My little brother (8 year old) is so cute, I'm going to miss our tickle fights and our sweet handshake. :) I'm going to miss Luna De Miel which is a little crepe place where I can go and talk to French people anytime I want and get all confused by making feel like I'm in the middle of europe and not in Antigua. To be able to look at two different volcanoes on a clear day is something that still takes my breath away even after being here for over one month. There are so many other things that I am going to miss but most of all I am going to miss the friends that I have met here and the ability to speak Spanish to anyone at anytime and practice until my brain hurts!
As I think about coming back I know it will not be the same. Even though the location may be the same the people that are here at the time make the specific experience at the time unique and special!

1 comment:

  1. Lexie,
    I didn't know you had a blog until I saw someone mention it on FB. Glad to hear you're having a marvelous time in Guatemala! I thought of you when Switzerland beat Spain and knew you'd be so happy! See you in August back at Taylor! <3

    ReplyDelete