Pages

May 25, 2010

Day 1

Upon arriving in Guatemala City, Eddy (my driver) picked up from the airport and drove me to my host family's house. He doesn't speak a WORD of English and I obviously don't speak any Spanish -- Perfect! The entire drive to Antigua consisted of me spitting out random spanish words I picked up from my new dictionary that I read in the airplane, French and his limited English. We managed to talk about where I'm from, where I go to school, what there is to do on the week ends and the weather in Antigua.
My host family is wonderful! Mama doesn't speak any English, which means I'm gonna have to kick in the Spanish ASAP! There is another person staying in the house but I can't remember his name...oppps :P He's from Idaho and has been here for one week and is leaving this Friday. His Spanish is very good so he has been translating for me. We walked around Antigua for a couple of hours right when I got there. He showed me the places to eat and land marks around the town so that I can find myself easy and not get lost. lol (got it covered Chief).
Antigua reminds me a lot of the D.R and I wish I was back there! However, I'm so happy to be here and love learning Spanish and being in Antigua! It is rainy season and so the sky is pretty much overcast everyday. People have told me that it will be like this for a while and if it rains it'll be in the late afternoons.
Mama makes great food! This morning I woke up to fresh Papaya, pineapple and strawberries and an omelet-- Just like the in the D.R :) Mr. Idaho walked me to school because no one knew where it was. It's only about a 5-7 minute walk from my host family's house.
My teacher's name is Teresa. She is so cute and small! :) We immediately started on the lesson and she was very impressed with my pronunciation, which made me happy :) She told me it doesn't sound toooo American. The building that the school is in is half inside and half outside. Basically -- there is no roof. There is a small court yard where teachers have their desks set up. Each table has place for one teacher and one student and a white board. It's great because there are lots of students around the court yard with their table, teacher and white board and they are all learning Spanish at which ever level they are at. (pictures to come). Teresa assigned me some homework for me to work on from the things we have been working on all day. She's so great!! We talked about the Bible and out families, Switzerland, and Antigua. She asked me if I knew Christian Spanish songs so I showed her the Revelation song online and told her about the D.R and how we organized outreach events. She LOVED LOVED LOVED the song said that it is full of the Holy Spirit :) Agreed!

Welp....that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment