Pages

May 27, 2010

Day 2 and 3

Every evening I spend a good three hours on homework. Teresa assigns me a lot to do, which is good because I really want to learn! My family helps me with my homework as they check it once I am done and they are very impressed with the amount of work I am able and have to do.
Yesterday (Wednesday) I signed up to go on a trip to a small town outside of Antigua where I got to see the work of an organization called Constru Casa. They are sort of like Habitat for Humanity where they build houses for people who do not have the means to buy a house for themselves. This one family in particular that we went to see has been through a lot! The mother is all on her own and has 9 children - two of which have died because of illness. Her youngest (he is very cute!) was born some sort of problem where he had to stay in the hospital for one year before he was allowed to have surgery. Now he is well and able to walk. :) Thanks to Contru Casa she is living is a house with a roof and solid walls where she can close her door and windows. (Pictures available).
Today I went to a coffee farm and learned about the history and making of coffee in Guatemala. *Gemma - Take a good look at the pictures from the coffee place :) It was really interesting.
Tonight I am going to do some merengue :) - Pictures to come.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lex, Your blog looks great! Sounds like you're starting off on a great "aventura." I'll be sure to read it everyday!. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a LOT of homework! Keep it up, Lexie!

    ReplyDelete